Back to School

It's that time of year again - back to school.  Retailers are advertising back-to-school specials and sales for K-12 and college.  I remember that the best part of this season was the shiny new school supplies and books.  I loved buying new pens and pencils and notebooks.  Each year, I'd try to improve upon the previous year's "system."  Would I carry around one notebook for 4 subjects or would I choose 4 smaller composition books - one for each subject?  I'd buy colored pens for my new student planner which had to be big enough so I could write my thoughts and poems but small enough so it wouldn't weigh down my trusty purple L.L. Bean Deluxe backpack.  I never wanted a new backpack - always just the same L.L. Bean one.  Yup, I was a nerd (disclaimer: still am).

I also attended my third wedding of the summer.  It would have been the fourth except that we couldn't make E and H's.  It was a lovely, fabulous affair set in Santa Rosa, Sonoma County.  Wine country at its best.  I loved the farmhouse, the hot sun, the cold breeze across the vineyard, the live band, the BBQ, the dogs, the children, and most of all the way the bride and groom looked at each other when they said I do.  Makes me wish everyone could be this happy.  To love and to love forever, eternally, unceasingly...  Thank you CLG and RB for inviting me to the beginning of the rest of your life.  Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Recently, I've had a few friends give birth to beautiful babies.  Also, there are some who have buns in the oven still.  I've been wondering what kind of support they have and how they are coping.  I've answered lots of questions for a few fo them and I hope I've been helpful.  I keep thinking there's got to be something I can do to help my friends ease into this new life - a more effective way to transfer experience and knowledge amongst our group.  Mothers' groups are great but most of us are working and live just enough distance apart to make after work gatherings difficult and our precious weekends are spent with our babies!  There's something here to be explored among late 20's to early 30's new moms and even those thinking of having a baby. 

So long summer...see you next year.     

Comments

SuperC said…
BALWING AT WORK!!!!
SuperC said…
BALWING AT WORK!!!!
SuperC said…
BAWLING AT WORK!!!!