Month #2: DJ Clothes

Hello February.  This year is a leap year so there's one more day in February. That's one more day for my organizing project this month: my clothes.  This post is dedicated to planning for the project.   

I admit it:  I have too many clothes.  My closet is uncomfortable full like I ate too much Indian food and now I have gas and heartburn.  I bet I don't even wear 50% of the clothes I own.  Isn't that a sad percentage?  Well, maybe the truth is that I don't really know what I do and don't wear because I'm not even sure what I have.  So, I've outlined some goals for the project:

1.  Breathing Room
I don't like fact that my closet and dresser are bursting at the seams, especially since I probably don't wear half the stuff that taking up space.  I want my new system to leave room between clothes so that I can really see what I have.

2.  Functionality
I want my system to be functional.  In its current state, it's just not working.  I want to be able to create outfits easily.   

3.  Purge and Store
I have a problem with getting rid of clothes that people have given me, specifically my mom.  That's a bigger problem which I have to deal with over time.  However, that doesn't mean these clothes that I can't seem to part with have to take up precious space in my closet and dresser, the two areas where I store the majority of my clothes.  So, I have to purge the clothes I can part with and store those that I cannot let go of.

4.  Sustainable System 
Again, aligning with last month's theme, my system for putting clothes away and creating outfits has to be simple and easy so that I can sustain it.  I don't want to create this overly complicated system that will result in my closet and dresser going back to the current state of indigestion.  Simple, easy, that's it.

How do I achieve these goals? 

Step 1: Gather all my clothes and Sort into piles by type.
And when I say all my clothes, I mean ALL including those in the hall closet, office closet, and storage bins scattered throughout the house (even in the garage).  This will be a big undertaking.

Step 2:  Assess my space.
Where will my clothes go?  The ones I wear everyday, casual and work, the ones I want to store.  Figure out which drawer will hold what.  The biggest undertaking will be my closet and how best to utilize the space.

Step 3: Execute assessment. 
This is where I execute my plan of action.  Pretty self-explanatory but obviously the area where mistakes happen and fatigue sets in.

I'll be taking some photos and posting.  Also, I'll be coming up with a schedule with a timeframe for steps 1-3.  Food for thought: Dare I add shoes and accessories to the mix?  It is a leap year!  




Comments