The Car...Done!

So, while K was napping, I tackled my first project of my 12 months of organization resolution.  I assigned my car to be January's project.  In my previous post, I said that it had been 16 months since I cleaned it.  Actually,  I really haven't cleaned it in 5 years since I purchased it.  Gross, I know but it wasn't as bad as you think.  To be more accurate, I haven't cleaned it but it has been vacuumed and the outside washed whenever I take it to the dealer.  But yes, I know, still gross since I take the car to the dealer once or twice a year.

It took me an hour to clean, vacuum, wipe down, and empty my car of everything.  I also went through all the stuff I had been storing in my car and only put back the essentials.  The survival kit in back was in pretty good shape.  Next year, I might have to start replacing everything.  I also emptied out all the water bottles in back.  Those were a few years old and been in the sun.  Mental note: buy more water for the car.

I even took some photos!  These are "in process" photos.  There really wasn't much of a before and after.  I'm still trying to get the hang of taking photos for my blog so bear with me.





  I've decided to use an old plastic cereal container as a trash can.  I also made an emergency diapering kit for the car.  I removed pieces of the car seat that are no longer needed such as the infant pillow seat thing (K's too big now) and this weird "balls protector" cover for the harness seat belt of the car seat.  While a good idea, the thing just kept falling off.  Now I need a bin or box for all the car seat parts that K no longer needs.  I've cleaned up the front seat and removed extraneous things (why did I have 5 pairs of sunglasses in the car when I only ever wear one pair?).

In terms of systems, I've got some ideas.  I'm trying to keep things simple.  Thursday nights, I'll clean my car of the week's activities/trash.  Sunday nights, pack up the car with items needed for the week (baby blanket, crackers, etc.).  Make use of the cute reusable bags I have for carrying baby items in and out of the car; don't just bring stuff in "loose."  I think that this should be good enough.  The important thing is establishing a schedule and routine for keeping the car clean.  I think I should do a deep clean twice a year (wiping everything, vacuuming everything, etc.).  So next time I do an overhaul should be in July.

So that's my plan.  I will say that I am definitely looking forward to driving my car Monday morning.  Hope K notices his cleaner ride.  

Comments

Doris said…
ah, excellent idea of actually have a TRASH CAN IN THE CAR. seems so simple yet brilliant. Yay! Great progress in the year so far on your organizational goals!