Gearing Up for the Cheer

Cheer of the holiday variety!

Here we are December 9th and yet again I want to buy gifts online and can't seem to get my act together.  The problem is that I really don't want to buy people junk.  I want to get them something useful, not too expensive, and likable.  What is that magical gift?!  I've been thinking nail polish for the girls or something make-up-, lotion-, beauty-related.  For the boys, no freakin' clue.  Beef jerky?!  Maybe some cool snack or something.  I've been looking at sephora.com, fab.com, and kiehls.com for ideas and also because I've got some coupons to these sites.  Must keep brainstorming and buy gifts this weekend - especially if I want them to arrive in a timely manner.  I'll keep you posted.

On the subject of gifts, I recently attended my office's white elephant party.  I've come to the conclusion that I suck royally at white elephant gift-giving.  I didn't think I was that bad but this year I guess I brought the worst gift to the party.  I have an aloe vera plant that propogated itself into nine plants.  So, I thought I'd bring one as my gift since the ground rules were bring a unused "re-gift" or something worth $10 or less.  I put it in a bag overnight and I guess it kind of turned color, more brown than the original green.  Also, I should have put it in a nicer pot but I didn't have one that I wanted to give away.  Maybe I should work on that since I have been trying very hard to declutter - but that's another topic.

One of my co-workers really kind of flipped out, kinda sorta, yeah.  She didn't even pick the gift; another co-worker did.  But she was like, "WHO BROUGHT THAT?!"  I being myself spoke up and said I did; I explained that I had propogated it myself and that it had faded.  Also, I volunteered to give the person my gift if they really didn't like it because by now I was starting to feel bad.  I guess she felt kind of bad too because she sort of tried to apologize later and say it was a nice gift.  I didn't really know how to respond so I said it was fine.  The person who ACTUALLY got the gift didn't really say anything so whatever.

It's so not a big deal.  I'm not terribly hurt by what occured because it's a freakin' white elephant party for crying out loud.  That's the point - bring in terrible gifts.  I'm more bothered by my co-worker's reaction.  She's just a bitter lady who hates coming to work, feels like no one respects her, and is perpetually in a pissy mood.  She's also close-minded so anything that's "different" to her is automatically "weird."  After two years of working in the office, I'm used to it but I guess even I have my limits.  She just went a bit too far.

Alas, I'm over it now.  As always, writing about it helps and in the end, it's really just not worth my time to dwell on it.  I've got better things to worry about like what gifts to get people!!! 


Comments