Rain in May

It's raining today and it feels strange.  I thought rainy season came to a close but I guess not.  Here it is almost Memorial Day and it's a cold, rainy, gray day.  I'm working from home today and taking a small break before my next conference call to write a post about nothing in particular. 

I've been back to work for just about 3 months now and I think I've reintegrated.  It's been tough especially with the commute and child care but it's basically working out or at least I'm working it out.  The commute's been a so-so experience.  I wasn't expecting it be great, obviously, but it's been a bit tougher than I expected.  Some days are better than others and some days I just suck it up and drive in.  I'm thinking ahead to September when I have to go back to work completely full-time.  We might be moving by then or in the process.  I've been thinking about putting the baby in the center at work full-time.  I think it would be feasible if we moved to the Peninsula.  I can handle 30 minutes in the car with the baby but I'm not sure how BART might work then.  I think both driving and drive/BART-ing would still be shorter than my current commute of an hour (both driving and BART-ing) from Fremont.  I've been very happy with the center at work, both with the teachers and the location.  The director is awesome and so is the assistant director.  But working from home is soooooo nice.  The baby usually takes longer naps.  I can get some household stuff done around the house.  And, Gwen gets some company during the day.  I am very reluctant to give that up.  I guess I'll have to figure that out once the time comes. 

Recently, I've become obsessed with reading about being green, sustainable, organic, urban farming, urban homesteading, back to basics, DIY kinds of things.  One of my new year's resolutions was to be more green and to purchase less.  How am I doing so far?  Well, lots of research but not sure how my purchasing has gone down.  Especially since it seems like I'm needing more and more stuff for the baby as he gets bigger.  But I am trying.  Really.  I've started with asking myself questions everytime I think I'm going to buy something.  Questions like:  do I have something like this already?  Will I be using this item for a long time?  How does this item benefit my life?  Do I really need this or do I just want it?  I admit I haven't been too great about asking everytime but I've got 6 more months left on this 2011 year. 

Something I read yesterday on Re-Nest (a blog I am obsessed with):  what would you bring with you if your house was burning down?  the question was posed and readers were asked to photograph and/or describe the items that they would bring.  I found it interesting and would like to pose the question to the blogosphere.  If your house were burning down, what 5 items would you want to grab as you fled the house? 

Comments