Officially a Working Mom

I am officially a working mom now.  Last week was my first week back at work.  I worked in the office two days, then two days at home, and one day off.  I think I'm pretty lucky being able to work from home two days of the week.  The child care situation is working itself out.  Thank god for my mom coming out here to help me she truly is an amazing woman.  I only wish she could be out here to help me out full-time or even part-time.

My child care fiasco wasn't even really all that bad, now that I have the luxury of hindsight.  I mean, even though my plan fell apart, at least I had time to sort it out and an understanding boss.  This is not to say that things won't fall apart later because they just might.  What happens to those moms and dads who don't have the means, the time, or the wherewithal?  My plight served as a reminder how important child care resource and referral agencies are to parents and child care providers.  I wish more people knew about them.  I also wish that all R&Rs could be like BANANAS (www.bananasinc.org).  Maybe if more agencies were like them then more parents would know about the many resources these agencies' have to offer!  Going through my own "choosing child care" situation made me wish that I lived in the northern Alameda county area.  It would have been a lot easier and I would have felt a lot better when my plans fell through.

But now, I've gotten things sorted out.  Baby K is coming with me to SF two days a week; we're commuting on BART together!  I only hope we make it there and back in one piece.  I'll have to write more about our adventures together.  This past Saturday, Cheng, my mom, and I took Baby K on a trial run to the city.  He slept on the train on the way there. We had fun shopping and strolling around.  We even got cream puffs at Beard Papa's and coffee and a tea latte at Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf.  It was a wonderful Saturday - so much fun!  The BART ride back was interesting.  Baby K was fussing because he had a poopy diaper but we had to transfer at Bay Fair!  We got off the train and speed-changed his diaper in 5 minutes.  He managed to pee on me and the stroller but luckily we got him cleaned up in time.  The only thing we didn't do was put his pants back on before wheeling him onto the Fremont train.  No biggie though, I even breastfed him from Bay Fair to the end at Fremont!  I guess that was the only snafu.  I think I manage two days a week on BART with Baby K; I should get him a little suit and tie plus briefcase so that he'll blend in with the rest of the working stiffs.  Hopefully, I won't get too many dirty looks on the train but they can kiss my a$$ if they have a problem.

Here's to a hopefully guilt-free existence as a working mom!!!   

Comments