Earthquake in Japan - Prayers and Worries

No words can really describe the devastation in Japan after the huge 9.0 earthquake and subsequent tsumani.  This follows the huge earthquake that rocked Christchurch, New Zealand.  And of course, this is reminiscent of the 2004 earthquake and tsunami that hit Indonesia and other Southeast Asian countries.  Also, the Sichuan earthquake (was it just last year?!) is being talked about again too.  These events are truly, truly scary.  I absolutely cannot read or watch the news on this.  I've been trying to read non-emotional accounts of the event because I can't take it emotionally.  Of course, it's been hard to avoid the human aspect of the news coverage but I have to.  I'm physically and emotionally exhausted from returning to work after having Baby K.  I already feel guilty for having to put him in child care while I work.  I'm running on little sleep and virtually no uninterrupted sleep since Baby K's been born (that's 6 months if anyone's counting).  When I think about what happened in Japan, I can't help but imagine the horror if it happened here in California.  I get terrified of leaving my baby's side.  I think I made the right decision putting Baby K in the center at work.  The peace of mind that comes from having him close to me is invaluable. 

That being said, the events of this weekend have shown the world the importance of being prepared in an emergency.  Cheng and I have emergency kits at home and in the car.  I've got to review the emergency plan at work and have to come up with one for the nanny.  But, I keep thinking about different scenarios like what if I'm on the BART or what if the nanny's at the lake with the baby and I'm working?  Obviously, I can't be prepared for every situation; it's impossible!   

Comments