You think you know...

...but you really don't.  I thought I had everything figured out for Kent's child care but things have fallen apart. I'm trying to stay optimistic but I really getting frustrated.  I've visited a bunch of family child cares and a couple of centers and so far...minimal payoff.  I found one family child care provider that I really liked as a person but her physical space for the children seemed small (and cold).  I visited three providers today and nothing really felt right.  I haven't started looking into nannies yet...don't know if I want to go there yet.  I really like the on-site child care at work a lot but I'm still on the waiting list and it doesn't look like a spot will open up by next month when I go back to work.  It's been a whole freakin' year!  I mean, damn!  And my mother-in-law informed us over the holidays that she won't be able to watch the baby for two days of the week.  I feel all this pressure to visit and make the right choice for Kent and if it goes to hell, then it's all my fault.  I mean, wasn't this my job just 3 years ago?  To help parents find child care?  And now it's my turn and I can't seem to make things work.  Family is trying to be supportive but not really.  No one really has any good advice, neither grandma was in the situation I am in currently.  They all had friends or family who took care of us.  I guess times really are different.

I just want to find a caregiver who will provide good quality care and love for Kent.  I want him to grow, get enough naps, learn, and get along well with other kids.  I want him to be exposed to other kids but not too many.  I also don't want him to cry all day.  Is that too much to ask?!  I don't want to worry that some 3-year-old is going to poke Kent's eye out or that he's going to be left in a swing/bouncer for 8 hours.  I also don't want him to hate me for having to go back to work and leaving him.  Why do I have to live in Fremont where no one else lives or knows of any good child care providers?  Why?!  Why the eff did I do this to myself?!    

My tummy hurts today and I think it's because of this stress.  I'm trying not to be stressed because it's bad for the baby.  I think the chemicals produced from stress can get into the breastmilk or at least maybe Kent can sense it.  Whatever.  A little part of me wants to call it quits and just stay home with the baby but more of me says I'm crazy because I want to go back to work.  That's another thing - my mom has been not-so-subtley trying to convince me to quit work and stay at home.  But get this - she's the grandma!  She's the the one who's going to be retirement age soon yet she wants to keep working!  How backwards is that?  And how unsupportive is that?  As if I need more "advice" undermining my decisions.

So yeah, February is starting off with craziness.  I guess I should get used to it.  Isn't this what being a parent is all about?     

Comments

judyonthenet said…
Hey DJ, I have no advice to offer you, just wanted to let you know I hope things fall in place for you soon. Also, kids are pretty resilient, so no matter what situation ends up being, I'm pretty sure Kent will be a happy kid. Hang in there!