Twenty-Ten

For some reason, this year of all new years, I do not know how to feel. I didn't think it was a big deal. Ooooooh, 2010. Big deal, right? Well, then all the decade-in-review lists started coming out and people began posting their top ten movies/songs/food/etc. of the decade. It's been a wild ride, I'll admit. And, when I look back at the third decade of my life, I guess a lot has happened.

I'm not sure I want to recap all of my third decade in review. It's too much...I've been doing it in my head and that's been fun! I think I might want to keep it there, these things I won't ever forget. But, I might reminisce just a little right now.

The decade began at Wellesley and it seems so far away now. I was beginning my journey to becoming a happier, more well-adjusted person. I was laying the foundation for the person I am today (could I be any more cheesy?!). I went through a lot at Wellesley and learned a lot about the world, community, society, women, men, compassion, myself, and oh yeah, academics. I met the man of my dreams, moved away from home, got a job, adopted a cat, got married, left my job for school, got a masters, and got a new job. I moved too many times to count, but not as much as other people (so I learned from my co-workers). To be honest, I never had the biggest dreams, not like others. I never had my life plotted out from graduation until retirement. I never had grandiose ideas of handling lots of money or making sh*t-tons of money (although, nobody ever rules this out). I just wanted to be happy, be a useful human being by offering something instead of always taking, and world peace. Haha, I'm kidding about world peace (sort of).

And, 30 years after my grand entrance into this world out of my mother's womb, here I am. Note, that I didn't do the major events of the decade or famous people who have passed. That's because many an article and list has been written already, by writers far better than I. But, who's going to write the story of me? Who will write about my life in review? No one but I can. So I am.

Comments