One inch of rain is 1 foot of snow

My birthday is in 5 days. I will be 29. Here is my prerequisite blog entry on getting older. I'll try not to be cliche.

Lately, I've been contemplating my mortality (which is another way of saying I've been feeling old). I'm wondering if I've been feeling the effects of "growing up". My knee's been bugging me lately but I'm certain it's because I need new shoes. I wonder if those wrinkles on my forehead and circles under my eyes are becoming indelible. I've definitely acquired more white hairs (long hair means long white hairs!!!). I'm pretty sure that I can't relate to those entering college anymore and think middle schoolers and high schoolers might as well be foreigners to me. Yes, there are more aches and pains, longer recoveries after workouts, love handles, blah blah blah. My mom had the three of us by the time she was my age. Damn, she's an amazing woman. I'm scared sh*tless thinking about having just one.

What do I want the point to be? I definitely don't want this to be another entry on how old we're all getting because, duh, that's life. I'm not scared or concerned about getting older, just reflecting on the effects. I guess I'm just really fascinated by the process. I'm truly fascinated by this transition I'm going through, not just physically but mentally and emotionally. To think that I'm embarking on that work/life balance that every woman contemplates once she graduates from college. You all know which one I'm talking about---how do I balance family/relationships/marriage/life(!) with career? What sacrifices do I have to make? What's the give and take?

It feels like the next step isn't more school or another job; it feels like my next big step is going to be (gasp) having a child. And, hell yeah it's scary! It's scary as sh*t! I'm terrified, petrified, scared, worried I might royally f*ck up.

But, I'm excited for this next challenge, whenever it may be (no, I'm not currently pregnant).

Comments