More than just a visit to the Pet Doctor

Cheng and I took Gwen to the vet yesterday to check on her snotty nose and sensitive mouth area. It turns out she has a minor upper respiratory infection and gum disease problems. The vet prescribed her antibiotics which I have to squirt into her mouth twice a day. I also have to set up a teeth cleaning appointment where they might have to extract some teeth! I thought - shit, Gwen's got so many problems, how did I let this happen? And then, in the back of my head I thought - is this what it's going to be like when I have children? Am I going to be a bad mother? If I let this happen to Gwen, what am I going to do to my child? AAAAAAaaaaaahhhhhh!!!

I just really hope that Gwen's not in any pain. Obviously, she doesn't look too happy when Cheng restrains her and I squirt medicine into her mouth against her will. But, really, I saw blood in her mouth yesterday when the vet had to hold her mouth to look inside (probably nicked the gum as Gwen was squirming). I saw the dark red cat blood and wanted to cry. My poor baby...I feel like such a bad mommy. It seems like such a conundrum. On one hand, I don't want to bring my child into the doctor's office for every sniffle and cough but then I do not want to neglect a major problem that might be brewing. What is the balance?

Comments

Doris said…
I think it'll be easier when you have kids...poor animals. They can't tell you when they start to feel bad, and will hide it! Poor gwennie! you are a good mommy!
Doughmesticity said…
the balance is using your instinct? question mark b/c since i have neither pets nor kids, it's hard to say. but i hope gwen gets better!