Home Sweet Home

The worst thing about travelling is...travelling.

I mean, the time it takes to get from one place to another. I guess it's been a while since I've done this much but I was seriously at my wit's end last night. After the 10+ hour flight from Istanbul to JFK, we arrived an hour earlier so we had to wait on the tarmac for 40 minutes for a gate to become available. The pilot assured us that no other gate was open. Then, we had to go through customs which wasn't that bad so I thought maybe the worst is over. But then the thunderstorms started and screwed everyone at JFK over. We waited in line to get in line to take off. Then, we waited in line to take off. We sat "in line" for about an hour and a half. At this point, my body gave up. I involuntarily fell asleep as soon as I heard the first announcement of the delay. I don't even remember taking off and getting in the air. I do recall some points where I heard the pilot's voice explaining the situation and even remember glancing out the window and seeing the water pour over NYC. But, I was basically unconscious until I randomly woke up and saw Cheng watching the Panthers vs. Cowboys game on Monday Night Football and decided that I wanted to watch some American football.

So the delay meant that we arrived at SFO an hour and a half late. I managed a semi-lucid conversation Percy as he and I were two ships passing in the night. I assured him that he would sound as tired as I did when he arrives in Singapore...haha. I am glad that I got to speak with him as he is taking a big step in his life and we're all very excited for him. When Cheng and I got home, we managed to unpack a bit, sort through the large pile of mail, and of course hug and kiss Gwen to pieces. I really missed my baby Gwen and I think she missed us or at least the consistency of someone feeding her everyday, 2x per day.

Unfortunately, I couldn't stay asleep this morning so I decided to wake up and make breakfast with what little food was in the fridge (bacon) and coffee. I miss my Dunkin Donut's Breakfast blend coffee. I had a ton of Greek coffee and Turkish coffee but I miss my watery, warm, and subtle DD coffee americano.

I realize this morning that I really missed home and am glad to be back.

Comments

George said…
A high school friend of mine was stuck at JFK at the same exact time you were. When we went through Dulles, the customs run-around was nuts also. I hate lines, I hate airports. I also hate the TSA.

Also, my high school friend said he was sitting next to someone at the airport and eavesdropped on their call from their doctor, warning them NOT to travel because he had just been diagnosed with H1N1. Very f*mylife-worthy!