Plaid's Comeback

Today, I realized that the plaid fad is back, according to Forever 21 and a host of other clothing websites I peruse looking for clothes. As I was looking through the clothes online at Forever21.com, I remembered this multi-colored plaid shirt that I bought from this store called Weathervane in the Burlington Mall in 8th grade. The colors were 'cool' colors of blue, rose, green, purple, and accents of cream. I wore the shirt with cool rose burgundy jeans (as opposed to warm, brown burgundy). Why do I have this image of me sitting in Mr. Murch's 8th grade science class in the second to front row with a cream colored scrunchie in my hair? Why such a vivid image? Is that weird to have such a clear memory of this? Must have been a photograph I have somewhere. But I digress...

Plaid is coming back but it seems less grungy and more punk. I suppose every generation has it's own take on old school fashion. Personally, I don't think I'll partake this time around. I did buy one plaid shirt but it's mostly for a country look that I'm going for. The punk plaid ain't my thang. I don't want to be a Miley Cyrus-lookalike, especially since I'm now a good 10+ years older than her and she's...well, she's ignorant (to put it nicely). When I think about her, I weep for the future. I'm 50% kidding. The thing is, the older I get, the more I feel like I shouldn't wear certain styles of clothes anymore. Is that true? But, I suppose if it is true, it works both ways. There are clothes that the young should not wear - the matronly look is not becoming on a 15 year old girl. Why do we spend our youth wanting to look older and then our maturity wanting to look youthful? Well, more power to those who are going plaid this season - I think I'll sit this one out.

If the 90s gave us grunge, what will the 00s give us?

Comments

Tami said…
here here! there's nothing sadder than a 40-year old shopping at Forever 21...I hope that never becomes us...
Doris said…
However Forever21 has thought of everything and now has a "contemporary" line which features more modest clothing. I like it! All the same, I hope I will never one day wake and up and decided that the clothing my mother wears, would look really good on me.

I'm a little afraid of the return to plaid. We had it in high school as a part of that whole grunge rock thing but even then I couldn't pull it off. (I am pretty sure I looked like a lumberjack.) I will also sit this one out, but that's what I said about the return of leggings...